Job announcement from the Alaska State Library.
Would you like to influence the direction of Alaska’s State Library, State Archives, and State Museum Programs?
Do you have experience in managing libraries, museums, and/or archives?
Do you have experience planning and building a facility?
Are you an innovative and collaborative leader?
If so, consider applying for this job!
Supervised by the Director of the Division of State Libraries, Archives, and Museums, this position directs the state research library program in Juneau. This position has Division-wide and Statewide responsibilities, assisting the Director in planning, coordinating and executing fiscal and administrative policies and responsibilities for the Division of Libraries, Archives, and Museums. In assisting the Director in overall development and execution of long-range management plans for the Division, this position provides innovative leadership and strategic planning.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
· Works collaboratively to define and accomplish the mission and goals of the Division of Libraries, Archives, and Museums.
· Assists the Director in all mission-critical tasks.
· Works with the Division staff to evaluate, coordinate, and improve services and programs as the Division plans for a new building.
· Provides leadership and strategic planning for the Division computing environment and services, and serves as liaison to the Department of Education and Early Development for information technology users and providers.
· Leads in investigation, development, and planning of use of technology for the future, including innovative and cooperative systems for delivery of information services. Takes the lead in statewide efforts involving information technology.
· Responsible for the State Library program in Juneau, the major state research library with historical and manuscript treasures and research services that support state government and lifelong learning.
· Evaluates and improves the operation of the State Library and its service to other library systems in the state, collaborating with Library Development when appropriate.
· Evaluates and improves the operation of the State Museums and its service to other museums in the state.
· Evaluates and improves the operation of the State Archives and Records Management program and its service to state government and other archives and records managers in the state.
For more about the Division of Libraries, Archives, and Museums, visit our website at http://lam.alaska.gov.
Master’s degree from an accredited college in Library Science, Library and Information Science, Museology, Information and Records Management, or a closely related field;
Four years of increasingly responsible professional library, museum, or archival experience, which includes at least one year with responsibility for either: 1) planning and directing the activities of a major section or specialized collection; or 2) providing expert consultation on management, services, and structures of libraries, museums, or archives.
To apply, visit http://workplace.alaska.gov and look for Deputy Director of Libraries, Archives, and Museums. Position closes 10/11/2011 at 5 PM.