The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) was signed into law December 2015 and replaces No Child Left Behind (NCLB) in federal education law. ESSA shifts much of the focus of educational decision making back to the states. The Alaska Association of School Librarians (AkASL), with support from the American Association of School Librarians and EveryLibrary, is advocating for the inclusion of “effective school library programs” in the ESSA implementation plan to be drafted by the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development (AK DEED).
We need your help to accomplish our goal! On this page, you will find more information about ESSA, AkASL’s, and AASL’s efforts, and upcoming advocacy opportunities.
Advocacy Events & News
- Connecting ESSA to School Libraries on November 11 4:00pm-5:30pm: Learn how the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act will impact Alaska. Join us for a complimentary online workshop presented with the American Association of School Librarians and the American Library Association. For more information on how to join us, click on the link. An email with the URL to the webinar will be emailed a few days prior. All are welcome!
- School libraries, librarians essential to students by Deborah Rinio published in Fairbanks NewMiner November 10, 2016
AkASL Produced Documents
policy-recommendations-regarding-school-library-programs: Letter written by AkASL and sent to AK DEED ESSA Coordinator and Commissioner of Education.
ESSA Superintendent Letter: Written by AkASL and sent to Alaska Superintendents on Sunday, October 30, 2016
- AASL: ESSA and School Libraries: AASL’s position statements, information on state workshops, advocacy resources and more.
- AK DEED: Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): Information on Alaska’s process to develop an ESSA plan, including a timeline, stakeholder engagement opportunities, and drafts of the plan as available.
- ESSA Titles: A list of the titles in ESSA that are relevant to school librarians.
AkASL ESSA Working Group
- Deborah Rinio, AkASL Secretary & Librarian, Hutchison High School, Fairbanks
- Sheryl Wittig, AkASL President & Librarian, Auke Bay Elementary, Juneau
- Ann Morgester, District Librarian, Anchorage School District
- Katie Baxter, AkLA Advocacy Committee Chair, Library Director, Kodiak Public Library
- with support from John Chrastka, Founder and Executive Director, EveryLibrary