School Library Staff of the Year Award and School Library Staff Merit Award Criteria
The Alaska Association of School Librarians gives the annual School Library Staff of the Year (SLSOY) award to an Alaska school library staff member who:
- Operates a library program that strives toward the goals set forth in Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Programs and Standards for the 21st-Century Learner.
- Promotes the development of independent lifetime readers and learners.
- Is an integral part of the educational team.
- Exemplifies professional involvement by sharing expertise with colleagues both locally and around the state.
- Is employed as a library staff member currently working in a school library position and is not eligible for the SLOY award. Staff member is either a certified teacher without a school librarian endorsement or classified library staff working independently or with a school librarian at his/her site.
- Demonstrates professionalism such as by being a member of AkASL and other professional organizations.
Each school year, administrators, educators, and librarians are encouraged to nominate a school library staff member who has been a help and inspiration to them.
The SLSOY will receive a special award certificate and a piece of framed art.
Each library staff member nominated will receive a School Library Staff Merit Award Certificate from the Association.
Directions: Complete and submit the online nomination form and send supporting documentation such as letters, photos, etc. separately via email by January 12, 2017 (11:59 PM).
School Library Staff of the Year Online Nomination Form
Email questions or supporting documentation to: email@example.com
Past Recipients of AkASL School Library Staff of the Year Award: